Virginia Beach Domestic Assault Defense Lawyer
Contact our Firm Today At (757) 785-0201!
- Reasons To Choose Our Firm
- Board certified criminal lawyer
- Hundreds of trial cases handled
- 30+ years of legal experience
- We provide free case consultations
- We are familiar with local courts and their key judges and prosecutors
According to Virginia law, domestic assault occurs when a person commits an act of assault and battery against a family or household member. This can involve violence, force, or even just threats of injury that make them fearful of injury or harm. Unlike assault and battery, domestic violence charges can be very personal, and may even involve exaggerated or false claims. As Virginia Beach criminal defense attorneys, we are very sympathetic and compassionate to the emotionally charged nature of these situations.
The potential punishments for domestic assault include:
- Up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500 for the first offense
- Up to 5 years in prison, or 1 year in jail and a $2,500+ fine for a defendant with two or more prior convictions for assault/ battery
Our goal as your defense is to get your side of the story and fight to resolve your charges in the most effective manner possible. If you are anxious after your arrest, call our defense firm to find the help you need so that you can rest easier.
Representation from a Former Prosecuting Attorney
While disputes in the home often arise in the heat of the moment and spouses or loved ones wish to later drop charges, this is not possible with domestic assault. Because it is a criminal, and not civil, charge, this decision to continue forward lies with the prosecution rather than the victim.
It is important to hire a skilled defense attorney to protect you. As former prosecuting attorneys, we are familiar with how the state approaches and handles domestic assault cases. We also understand that lies, exaggerations, and inaccurate statements often occur. With every case, we always perform investigations and interview witnesses so we can help piece together a solid defense.
Arrested and worried? Sleep better tonight by calling our law firm at (757) 785-0201!