what are deportable offenses?

All immigrants, including those who have green cards, can be deported for violating U.S. immigration laws. It isn’t uncommon for immigrants to be placed into removal proceedings simply because there is evidence that they were involved in a crime. Learn what types of crimes may cause an immigrant to face deportation.

Crimes of Moral Turpitude

Crimes of moral turpitude are the leading cause of deportation proceedings due to criminal behavior. These crimes aren’t well defined, which means that those who are facing deportation proceedings base on a conviction will be at the mercy of the judge’s discretion. You may argue that your crime is not one of moral turpitude. Your attorney can help you find the right defense for your needs. Generally speaking, crimes of moral turpitude involve:

  • Dishonesty
  • Theft
  • The intent to cause harm to persons or property

These crimes can include larceny, fraud, spousal assault, assault with the intent to rob or kill, and driving under the influence.

Other Deportable Crimes

There are many other crimes that can cause removal proceedings to occur. The entire list of these crimes is laid out in Section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. These charges include:

  • Drug crimes
  • Illegal sale or possession of firearms
  • Espionage
  • Terrorist activity

Some crimes of moral turpitude, such as aggravated felonies, are also listed. This is to prevent immigrants from claiming that the charge doesn’t meet the necessary requirements for moral turpitude, and thus are not grounds for deportation.

As an immigrant, a criminal charge can jeopardize your ability to remain
in the U.S. Don’t hesitate to seek experienced legal counsel if you have been charged with a crime. At George Holton Yates, Attorneys At Law, P.C., we are prepared to tackle your case and ensure you receive the best possible defense. Our Virginia Beach criminal defense attorney has more than 30 years of legal experience, so you can trust that your case is in good hands.

Contact our firm by calling (757) 785-0201 to request your free consultation.