Bond Hearings in Virginia Beach
Expert Virginia Beach Criminal Lawyer
Getting bailed out of jail is very often the first and most important step in a criminal case. With a bond, the client is able to go to work, stay at home with family, and meet with us in our office instead of the jail to prepare the case for trial. We get a lot of requests for this service. I do bond hearings every week of the year.
Call us for a free consultation. We will work hard to get you or your loved one a bond.
While there is a Constitutional right to reasonable bail, in Virginia the right to bail is governed by VA Code § 19.2-120. We are criminal defense lawyers in Virginia Beach, and we do bail and bond hearings. The issues are many, and can get complicated.
Some questions that may be presented, include:
- Is there a presumption against bond?
- Is the defendant a "flight risk?"
- Is the defendant a threat to commit future crimes if released on bond?
- Does the victim fear the defendant? If released on bond, what should the conditions be?
- What should be the amount of the bond?
- Who should be the bondsman?
- Can the defendant travel out of state during the pendency of the matter?
- Will the lawyer assist in getting bond modifications and travel orders?
The list can go on and on. In 25 years of doing bond hearings, we are very careful in how we go about getting a bond for our client. It takes experience and expertise, and not doing it right can mean not getting out of jail until the hearing date, which could be weeks or months away.
Call us today at George Holton Yates, Attorneys At Law, P.C. at (757) 785-0201 to help you or your loved one get a bond. Do it right.